Wednesday, July 28, 2010

July 24th - Wallabies game!!

To celebrate my last night in Brissy, I had bought tickets to the Wallabies game with a couple good friends of mine - Alexa and Steph. Of course, I was pumped to wear my new Wallabies jersey and really be a part of the fan crowd, but I had no idea how crazy a night it would end up as!

I started out with dinner, multiple drinks etc with Derek back at the house. I was staying overnight there since Dad and Quinn had already left that afternoon, and I was flying out the next morning. I left for the game around 7pm, where I promptly met up with my mates and we hit the beers pretty hard. The Australians were playing the South African team and the rivalry was HUGE. There was a family cheering for the SA team in front of us, and this one boy kept giving me death stares whenever I cheered for the Wallabies....maybe it was because I was cheering at really inappropriate times, but I attribute that to the alcohol and the general feeling of craziness that accompanies an intense game.

After the game was over (we won - something like 30-8 or another ridiculous whopping), we headed out as a group to Caxton Street for some more pubs, cheering and reminiscing about our time in Australia. Both Alexa and I had to leave the next morning, and both of us were really wanting to stay. I'd say highlights of the night happened when my friend got a SA jersey off of a guy at the bar, in return for nothing, and I managed to spill something lethal all the way down the front of my new jersey, which took 3 days of washing and scrubbing in Auckland to fix. It's still slightly visible, but at least there is a good story behind it all!


I caught a cab home relatively early, since I was feeling worse for wear and then went straight to bed. I knew that I needed to get up early the next morning to catch my plane to Auckland, and my housemate Muhammad volunteered to give me a ride. Derek tagged along, helped me to get my bags into the airport and also watched me narrowly miss paying for heavy luggage. One of my bags was 22.9kg. The limit? 23kg. Success!! Hahaha.

It was super sad to say goodbye to Derek and Muhammad, but I did what I had to do, and boarded a plane to NZ, leaving Australia behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment