Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Byron Bay and the damn weather

Hello everyone!

Here is a much overdue update regarding my past weekend and the events I have been up to since I last wrote. The computer is still under repair, and will be until next week. Which is slightly unfortunate.

House: As most of you know (at least the family members), my cousin has moved into the empty room in the house, and is now my new housemate. It's been an interesting couple of first days together, and should be fun from here on in. He's also fit right in with the other boys, and even have ganged up on me to try and get me to come out and party with them instead of study! Bad influences, I tell you.

The weekend: This past weekend we went to Byron Bay to celebrate my friend, Beth's 22nd birthday. We had free transport up, since her sister lives here and has cars, so we splurged on accommodation. We stayed at the Rainforest resort, which had two rooms, a kitchen and basically the greatest pool and spa ever. To celebrate, we partied at the same club Andrea, Derek and I hit up back in February - Cheeky Monkeys.
         The birthday girl, Kelsey and Alexa celebrating with some champagne

Sunday was a bit of a disappointment, since Alexa, Kelsey and I had booked a skydive outside of Byron. I know, Dad, reading this, you are probably very angry (and I'm hoping it's not the reason for a lack of communication lately!) but it's something I chose to do. Risky, yes, but so is living these days. According to the company, I have a higher risk of dying in a vehicle on the way over than I do jumping out of the plane. At any rate, this sky dive did not happen, due to bad weather and high winds. So I didn't jump. Plans have not been made to reschedule, and perhaps this is a sign that I'm not supposed to do it at all! Dad - I am safe and on the ground...for now. KIDDING.

In other news, I received some photos via facebook of my sister's grade 12 graduation. One of the sad parts about being on exchange is not being able to attend major events like this, and I was mad about not being able to be there. Judging from the photos, it seemed like a fantastic night, and I can't believe how great my sis looks. She definitely seems more mature than her 18 years, and will be breaking some hearts while out in Australia, that's for sure! I've uploaded only a couple, and will leave the rest for her to share.
                    Cass, looking amazing.


In other news, tonight Derek and I are going into the city to watch a rugby game on TV in a pub. It's the State of Origin game, where players from all teams across New South Wales and Queensland return to their "home state" to play for their state team in an epic battle. It's similar to the All-star games that occur in the NHL, or the Olympic games. It's apparently a very intense 3-game series, and so hopefully the action in the city pubs will be as exciting as the action is supposed to be at the actual venue!

I think that's about it for now - I have to run to an anatomy practical, but will write another update this weekend about my very last field trip this Friday to Australia Zoo!

Much love to all,
xoxo Danielle

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff for resisting peer pressure, D! ;)
    sucks how you're being kept out of skydiving by bad weather. Same thing in Cgy. Oh well, tomorrow?
    Also, congratulations to Cassie and her graduation!
    keep these posts coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cass is one sexy babe. I guess it runs in your family, eh?

    Sounds like you're having a blast with Derek, too! Glad to hear you're having a good time!!

    ReplyDelete